Public Transport Accident Compensation Claims


If you have been injured in a public transport vehicle accident then you are entitled to make a claim for personal injury compensation, under the Motor Accidents Compensation Act of New South Wales (‘the Act’). The public transport vehicles that are covered by the Act include:

  • State Transit Buses and other bus companies contracted to provide public transport services
  • Long distance coaches
  • Tourist coaches
  • Light rail

Passengers in public transport accidents, can be injured in a wide range of circumstances, from injuries sustained when the bus on which you are travelling is involved in a crash, to injuries sustained when you are run over or hit by a public transport vehicle.

In making a public transport accident claim for personal injury compensation for injuries sustained in a public transport accident, you need to ensure that the accident is reported to the police within twenty-eight days and that you obtain an incident report number for the accident. This is particularly important in situations where a large number of passengers have sustained injuries in a crash situation.

Once you have reported the public transport accident to the police, you need to ensure that you seek expert legal advice, on how to make a claim for compensation for your injuries. This is because public transport injury claims often occur in situations where there may be an issue, as to who was at fault for the accident. For example, if you were injured as you exited a bus than we will need to gather evidence from witnesses to show that your actions in exiting the bus did not contribute to your injuries.

At Gerard Malouf and Partners, we have a 99% success rate in motor vehicle & public transport accident compensation claims, where our clients have received the following compensation, depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident:

  • Reimbursement of hospital, medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Compensation for any future medical expenses in relation to injuries sustained in the accident
  • Compensation for past economic loss such as loss of wages while recovering from the injuries
  • Compensation for future economic loss where the working life has been reduced as a result of the injuries
  • Lump sum compensation if there is a permanent impairment as a result of the injuries
  • Lump sum compensation for pain and suffering, loss of amenities of life, loss of expectation of life and disfigurement

Gerard Malouf & Partners are not a giant publicly listed law company but a highly specialised and focused firm.

We are small enough to have the privilege of caring intimately for our clients but large enough to have the solid financial, medical and expert resources our client’s need in their successful compensation claims.

For free over-the-phone advice or to take advantage of our free face-to-face consultation call our expert legal team today on 1800 004 878.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.