Catholic Church Sex Abuse Compensation

By now, child sex abuse in the Catholic Church is well known for being a common problem. Only in the past decade has the extent of Church authorities’ efforts to protect clergymen from lawsuits been fully understood. At Gerard Malouf and Partners, we want to do everything we can to bring sexual predators and the institutions that illegally protected them to justice.

The history

The National Museum in Australia (NMA) states that sexual abuse by Roman Catholic clergy and monks has a long history that goes all the way back to 2,000 years ago.

Amazingly, it is only somewhat recently that child sex abuse has been exposed as a common problem the world over. In 2005, the newspaper The Observer reported that the Church authorities gained control of litigation involving sex abuse and was able to cover up crimes to protect their reputation.

Efforts to get Catholic Church sex abuse victims compensation

The ABC reported on a Melbourne case that happened in 1982, when an 18-year-old former seminarian was allegedly abused by Father John Walshe. The victim took legal action and was awarded $75,000 from the Catholic Church.

The Royal Commission into Child Sex Abuse was also recently established in 2013 by the government. Its officials travel around Australia to hold private interviews with victims of sexual abuse by Catholic Church authorities to work towards getting them justice.

Making a Catholic Church sex abuse claim

To make a claim, you must first inform a child welfare authority.  Then, you will be directed to fill out a mandatory form. This involves giving a concise summary of the incident or incidents, the dates that it/they occurred and any other proof, according to the Family Court of Australia.

Your case will be bolstered by any evidence from police, medical or psychological reports that show mental or physical damage due to sexual abuse experienced as a child.

The NSW Government states that receiving a decision on your claim can take between six and 12 months. Some cases will take longer if the case is more complicated.

Your first step in all cases should be to report your complaint to the police for investigation. Then contact the sexual assault experts at Gerard Malouf & Partners who will help prepare the required documents that are submitted to the institution who has responsibility for compensation to you.

At Gerard Malouf and Partners, it is our mission to get compensation for victims who were failed by the institutions that were complacent in allowing the sexual predators – in this case, the clergy and monks – to inflict harm.

We know how emotional it is to discuss these issues but we are here to help. Our sexual assault expert lawyers will evaluate whether we can take your case and fight for you to get the compensation you deserve after going through your traumatic experience. Like with all Catholic Church sex abuse victims’ claims, we will work with diligence to help you through this difficult time.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.