What should I do after a car accident?

PUBLISHED 06 Jan 2020

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident, you know how stressful it can be. Between physical injuries, the shock of the event and filing a claim, it’s no wonder so many individuals find dealing with the aftermath of a car accident to be such a challenge. It’s a complex process – here are a few things to know.

What should I do after a car accident?

Before taking any other step, it’s crucial to speak with the police after a car accident. To pursue monetary damages, you’ll need to be able to produce a police report that lays out the details of the event. If the accident was not your fault, or if you are only partly to blame, you may be eligible to receive compensation for any expenses you incurred due to the accident.

What damages can I seek?

You may be able to seek compensation for physical, financial and mental injuries from the car accident, whether you were driving at the time, were a passenger in a vehicle involved or were a pedestrian or cyclist struck by a vehicle.

You may, for example, have had to pay for ongoing medical care as a result of the injury, or experienced loss of income due to the accident. You can seek damages if you have lost income, lost the ability to work, had to pay for any medical care on your own or sustained psychological damage as a result of the crash.

How can I receive compensation for the accident?

If you’re interested in pursuing damages for costs associated with a car accident, you’ll need to file a claim. Seek out the help of a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate this complicated process. Experts in the field can help you sort through paperwork and assist you in gaining the compensation you’re seeking, including payouts that are handled quickly and professionally. It’s important to work with lawyers who specialise in personal injury law with the experience you need to successfully pursue compensation.

Have you or a loved one been involved in a motor vehicle incident that has left you with physical injuries, illnesses or financial losses? You may be entitled to receive financial compensation to help cover ongoing care costs, loss of income and pain and suffering.

At Gerard Malouf & Partners Compensation Lawyers, we are confident in our ability to obtain your maximum value in your motor vehicle and car accident claim. Call us on 1800 004 878 or complete our email enquiry form.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.