What are the most common car accident injuries in Australia?

PUBLISHED 02 Apr 2018

The number of people who have lost their lives on NSW roads is already nearly 50 per cent higher in 2018 than at this point last year, according to the latest state government statistics.

Compensation is available for victims of car crashes, but what injuries can you claim for? We've compiled a list of common car accident injuries that we come across. This is by no means an exhaustive list, however, so please get in touch with an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your claim.


While whiplash is often considered a fairly minor injury, sufferers may still experience serious symptoms that can affect their ability to perform day-to-day tasks for a number of days or even weeks.

The condition is characterised by neck pain and stiffness, difficulty moving your head and headaches. Less common symptoms may include nausea, dizziness and memory loss.

State Insurance Regulatory Authority data reveals that 46 per cent of all claims made under compulsory third-party insurance policies since 2007 are for whiplash.  

Brain and head injuries

Monash University research showed vehicle rollovers and rear-end collisions are more likely to be responsible for these injuries than any other type of car accident.

Damage to the head and brain are among the most serious outcomes of a crash, potentially resulting in long-term or permanent disabilities and death.

In NSW, the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LCSS) provides redress for the treatment, rehabilitation and care costs associated with serious injuries from motor accidents, including brain damage.

Spinal injuries

Rear-end crashes are the most common form of collision between vehicles in Australia, and they regularly cause injuries to the chest, head, neck and spine.

Severe spinal injuries may result in partial or total paralysis, as well as chronic pain and other symptoms. As with brain damage, spinal injuries are also covered under the LCSS.

According to Monash University, people sitting in the front and back centre seats of a vehicle are most at risk of spine injuries.

Psychological injuries

Not all car accident injuries are physical. The emotional and psychological trauma of a crash can lead to mental health conditions, including depression and anxiety.

Some victims may experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or develop phobias of travelling in vehicles. A recent study in BMJ revealed between 20 and 40 per cent of people who are involved in a crash develop PTSD.

Can I claim compensation for my injuries?

If you have been hurt in a car accident in Australia, you may be entitled to compensation to cover your medical bills, lost earnings and range of other expenses associated with the crash.

Please contact Gerard Malouf & Partners Compensation, Medical Negligence & Will Dispute Lawyers for more information.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.