Change location v

What are the different types of public liability claim?

The term 'public liability' is slightly misleading, and it's common for many people to believe they can only make a claim when they are injured in a public place, such as a park or other open area.

However, you could be eligible for compensation through the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW) under a range of circumstances if you've been physically or mentally hurt due to the negligence of others.

Here are some of the common types of public liability claim you may be entitled to make:

Business premises liability 

Whether it's a shopping centre, supermarket or other business, the owners owe you a duty of care that could be breached through negligence. At Gerard Malouf & Partners, we often see slips, trips and falls due to spillages, unattended objects and other potential hazards that have been ignored.

Elderly people are particularly prone to suffering serious injuries when they fall in such situations, which can have a significant impact on their future mobility and quality of life.

Rental property claims

Your landlord has a responsibility to provide you with financial recompense should you sustain injuries because of negligence. Typically, they will have public liability insurance as part of their building and contents cover.

This means you should be able to pursue a claim if a bannister collapses under your weight, a fixture or fitting becomes loose and falls on you, or a range of accidents occur.

Faulty product issues

Manufacturers, builders and various other businesses may be liable for any faulty products they produce or workmanship they complete – and these claims also fall under civil liability legislation.

Poorly made electrical items and furniture or even shoddy home improvements could all potentially cause serious injuries that make you eligible for compensation.

Public places

You are probably aware that public places often fall under civil liability laws, but most people don't know how broad the definition of these locations can be.

For example, you can claim for accidents at concerts, sporting events, common walkways in buildings, amusement parks and schoolyards. However, if you are unsure whether you are eligible, an experienced personal injury lawyer can discuss your claim in more detail.

A no-win, no-fee firm can help you seek compensation for injuries you have experienced due to negligence, and you won't have to pay any costs unless a settlement goes in your favour. Want to make a claim? Get in touch today.

© 2021 
Gerard Malouf & Partners
 — Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Website Design by MediaSmiths

Your location is currently: