Change location v

How does the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Scheme work?

In 2017, there were a total of 12,141 serious injuries caused by motor vehicle incidents on NSW roads, according to Transport for NSW. This astronomical figure is why the state continues to be the worst for serious injuries and fatalities caused on Australian roads.

Thankfully, those who become injured are covered by the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Scheme. But how does the system work?

What is the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Scheme?

The Scheme pays for the rehabilitation, treatment and care of people who have been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident in NSW. It's funded by a levy on green slips – otherwise known as Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance –  and run by icare Lifetime Care which is part of icare (Insurance and Care NSW).

Its services aim to help injured parties recover quickly and increase independence.

Such services include:

  • Medical treatment such as medication, hospital stays and doctors' appointments.
  • Equipment such as wheelchairs and sticks.
  • Rehabilitation such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
  • Attendant care services such as domestic services, personal care and home or garden maintenance.
  • Home and vehicle modifications, such as bathroom rails and ramps.
  • Help to return to study or work.

Who is eligible for the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Scheme?

In order to receive assistance under the Scheme people need to meet specific criteria for both injury and the type of motor vehicle accident. Injuries must be classed as 'severe' and have occurred after October 1, 2006.

Examples include:

  • Brain injury.
  • Spinal cord injury.
  • Burns.
  • Permanent blindness.
  • Amputations.

How to apply for the NSW Lifetime Care and Support Scheme

If you have sustained severe injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident, it's important to tell icare lifetime as soon as possible. This involves filling out a Severe Injury Advice form which asks for all information relating to your accident. After icare receive the form they'll appoint each injured person with an icare Lifetime Care coordinator who'll get in touch to find out more about your injuries and the events of the accident. They'll also give more information about the Scheme, including the eligibility criteria.

From here, the coordinator can help you complete the application form. This requires a medical certificate which must be signed by your treating specialist.

If after considering your application form icare deems you eligible for the Scheme, you'll be accepted as an 'interim participant' in the Scheme for two years. During this time, icare will pay for any reasonable and necessary treatment related to your motor accident injury. After two years, you may be eligible to become a 'lifetime participant'.

If you'd like to find out more or submit a claim for motor vehicle accident compensation, get in touch with the team at Gerard Malouf & Partners today.

© 2021 
Gerard Malouf & Partners
 — Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Website Design by MediaSmiths

Your location is currently: