Change location v

South-West Sydney truck driver awarded almost $150,000 for economic loss from motor vehicle accident

Case Overview
  • A South-West Sydney man sustained personal injuries after a vehicle failed to give way when turning across his path.
  • His claim was for economic loss only, as he was assessed by doctors as not having significant enough injuries to allow him to receive compensation for his pain and suffering.
  • Due to his time out of work and reduced work capacity, we were able to get a sum of almost $150,000 for our client’s economic loss.
Our Approach

We at GMP acted for a man from South-West Sydney who sustained injuries maintain to his shoulder, when a car failed to give way when turning across his path. He was assessed by our doctors as not being over 10% impairment, which meant that he was not entitled to make a claim for his pain and suffering.

Our client was working as a truck driver at the time of the accident and had to have a significant amount of time out of work after the accident. We also made arguments that his earning capacity had reduced as a result of his injuries, as his earnings were dependant on his productivity.

The Result

Our arguments were accepted by the insurer and we managed to secure a settlement of almost $150,000 for our client's economic loss.

Vrege Kolokossian

Senior Partner
My aim is to always listen and to do the best for my clients
Frequently Asked Questions

More Information

There are several steps you should take following a motor accident before worrying about liability. First and foremost is ensuring that you, the other driver and any passengers you both have are safe. Immediately call 000 for emergency services if necessary, and apply first aid care if you know how. Move the vehicles off the shoulder if the accident is blocking the roadway and it’s possible to do so.

Compensation can provide vital financial support for people who have suffered serious injuries in a road traffic accident. But are there limitations on how much money someone can receive?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, including:

  • Who was to blame for the accident?
  • How severe were your injuries?
  • Is there permanent damage?
  • Are you entitled to damages for non-economic losses?

Let’s break down some scenarios and explore what compensation amounts could be available…


In the ACT, a claim is made up of three stages:

  • Defined benefits
  • Quality of life benefits
  • Common law damages (Quality of life damages)


Under the Motor Accident Insurance Commission CTP Scheme, the injured party must be able to establish the insured driver acted negligently.

In addition to establishing negligence, for an injured party to bring a claim to court, they must have:

  • Reported the claim to the police
  • Provide written notice of the claim to the insurer
  • Hold a compulsory conference



More Case Summaries

© 2021 
Gerard Malouf & Partners
 — Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Website Design by MediaSmiths

Your location is currently: