What should I do if I was involved in an accident at work?

PUBLISHED 28 May 2014

If you are involved in a work-related accident, there are a number of steps you will need to take in order to handle the situation correctly.

First, you will need to seek medical treatment. The severity of your accident will dictate what sort of attention you require – it may need on-site first aid or counselling or, in more extreme cases, you may need to be taken to hospital.

It’s vital that you inform the healthcare professional who treats you the injury is work related, explains Flinders University, so they can supply you with a WorkCover Certificate of Capacity that verifies what has occurred.

This Certificate of Capacity is very important, as it is "the primary tool" through which your health care professional can explain to all involved the severity of your injury, according to WorkCover New South Wales. It is also the only document that an insurance provider is allowed to base "work capacity assessments and decisions" on.

You may be required to sign the Certificate of Capacity, and you must provide it – completed – to your employer and insurance provider to be eligible for compensation.

Once your injury has been seen to, you must inform your employer or direct supervisor as soon as possible. You will need to provide them with your name, the date and time of the injury, and what caused it.

Your employer should then put this in their register of injuries, states WorkCover New South Wales, and inform WorkCover of what has occurred. Failure to do so could result in a large fine.

You will then need to "participate and cooperate" in any injury management plan that your employer introduces following you accident, as well as do everything in your power to return to work as soon as you’re able.

If you don’t receive the amount of compensation to which you believe you are entitled, a compensation lawyer may be able to help.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.