Three people die in car accidents during Operation Stay Alert

Date: Jun 13, 2017

Three motorists have lost their lives in car accidents across NSW this weekend, despite a heavy police presence during Operation Stay Alert.

Officers patrolled the streets in an effort to prevent a number of driving-related offences, including mobile phone use, failing to wear a seat belt, speeding, and alcohol and drug consumption.

The initiative began at midnight on Friday June 9 and ended on 11:59pm on Monday June 12, with the police issuing double demerits during the three-day operation.

However, two people were killed in accidents on the third day, bringing the road toll to three after a person died just 10 minutes into the start of the initiative.

A 78-year-old man was the victim in a single-vehicle crash near Dunedoo, while a 42-year-old man lost his life in Tamworth – also after a single-vehicle collision.

Drivers warned to remain alert

Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy of the Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said he was saddened to hear that two more men would not be able to go home to their families.

The first fatality during the operation was a 36-year-old man who died when the vehicle in which he was travelling crashed into a tree in Yass.

"Motorists need to remain alert, slow down, and always drive to the weather conditions. Not just during this operation but every time they get behind a wheel," said Assistant Commissioner Corboy.

"Fatalities affect a whole community. It never gets any easier telling someone that their loved one won't be returning home."

Officers recorded a number of inappropriate incidents over the three days, as well as issuing more than 113,260 breath tests. Of those stopped, 170 were charged for alcohol-related offences and 3,379 speed infringements were handed down.

Wet weather causing problems

In addition to the three fatalities, a further 256 major crashes occurred during the operation.

"After the recent wet-weather conditions, we don't want to see an increase in road trauma following the conclusion of this operation. It's simple: slow down and stay alert," added Assistant Commissioner Corboy.

The police released the details of a number of incidents that occurred during the initiative. For example, one driver was found travelling at 106 kilometres per hour (km/h) in an area limited to 60km/h.

Meanwhile a 53-year-old man who was stopped near Harden was discovered to be driving illegally because his NSW licence had already been suspended and his motor vehicle registration was cancelled.

Have you been involved in a car accident that was not your fault or only partly your fault? Please contact one of our expert personal injury lawyers today.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.