Policemen, highway patrol units, traffic officers and government officials are all constantly trying to reiterate a similar message – that speeding is dangerous.
Going above and beyond the speed limit or driving fast in wet, icy, foggy or other hazardous conditions puts motorists at risk and often results in fatal car accidents, claiming the life of one or many.
This is why the NSW police force spends such a large amount of time and money patrolling the regions roads to try and catch offenders and keep sensible drivers safe.
From July to October 2012, they are particularly focusing on the Hume Highway as part of their official ‘Operation Highway 31’.
While they will still be out in force in other areas, this particular campaign is intended to make the Hume Highway a safer place to travel, as well as improve general traffic conditions.
Acting traffic and highway patrol operations commander Superintendent Gregory Lynch said several incidents have occurred on this piece of road in the past.
“Over the last three years there have been more than 1,200 major traffic crashes on the Hume Highway,” he said.
“Almost 400 of those crashes resulted in serious injuries and 23 were fatal crashes.”
Yet despite this history and the current high police presence on this stretch of road, officers have caught several drivers speeding.
Over the weekend (Sunday July 8), one car – a white Toyota Camry Sedan – was caught exceeding the speed limit twice, each time with a different person behind the wheel.
The first incident occurred at approximately 07:30 in the morning, when police allegedly clocked the sedan going over 50 kilometres over the limit in a 110 kilometre per hour area.
A 20-year-old female driver was issued a ticket and sent on her way. Given that the woman was from Victoria, police may have thought that was the last they would see of this white Toyota.
However, the same car was pulled over again on the Hume Highway – this time at Tumblong – going at 125 kilometres per hour in a 110 kilometres per hour zone.
In this instance, a 29-year-old male was driving, and he was accompanied by a 17-year-old passenger who was not wearing his seatbelt.
Both men were given appropriate infringement notices.
A few days before this incident (Thursday July 5), a man was also caught going nearly 80 kilometres per hour over the limit with two children in his vehicle.
Operations commander of the NSW Police Force’s traffic and highway patrol command Superintendent Stuart Smith said that he wanted to make it clear “that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated”.
“We are out in big numbers for this operation, and due to the recklessness displayed by some drivers so far, we are likely to increase our levels of enforcement,” he added.