Recent eviction over repairs sparks anger

Date: Oct 04, 2016

A landlord is required by law to ensure that your home is safe to live in. If they fail to accomplish this, a tenant can seek redress under New South Wales compensation law.

If you have been injured while living at a rental property, talk to a compensation lawyer to find out if you have a case.

Repairs lead to eviction

Revenge evictions are one of the scariest events that can befall a tenant. Forcing people out on to the street at short notice can have a major impact on their standard of living and quality of life. 

A revenge or retaliatory eviction occurs when a landlord evicts a tenant after the latter asks for something to be completed or complains about an aspect of the house. Typically this will occur when a landlord does not want to deal with the tenant's grievances. 

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, this is what happened to one unlucky renter after she asked for repairs to be made. Nine minutes after asking for repairs to be carried out before a rent increase, Penny McCall Howard received another email telling her she would be evicted.

"I was utterly stunned," Ms McCall Howard said. "I had a sense that [tenancy laws] were quite weak and that tenants are generally treated as disposable commodities, but I didn't realise how weak."

The irony is that repairs can actually save landlords money. If broken elements of a house cause an injury, a tenant can seek financial compensation for their injury.

Public liability injury claims against a landlord

If you sustain injuries in a building where you are a tenant, you can seek a public liability claim. Whether the injuries were minor, serious or permanent, you may be able to claim against your landlord, the owners corporation, property manager or the tradespeople. 

At the time of the injury it is important to ensure you notify all stakeholders including the landlord, as well as outlining how the injury occurred. Following this, you should seek medical attention to the extent that your injuries require. 

If you would like to know more about how you can ensure your medical bills are paid by the party liable, make sure you seek out the experts in the field of compensation law. With their help, you can rest assured that you are in the best hands possible. 

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.