What’s the difference between a police and incident report?

PUBLISHED 11 Mar 2020

There are more than a thousand road deaths every year in Australia, and accidents cause many more injuries in drivers, passengers, and bystanders. If you’ve been involved in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation.

How do I file a claim in case of a car accident?

The first step in filing a claim is making a police report, which must be done in most cases within 28 days of the accident. From there, you can move forward with your claim in several different ways, but you can typically get immediate help with early financial assistance by lodging an “Accident Notification Form” with the Motor Accidents Authority, which must also be done within 28 days of the accident. A formal claim for personal injury compensation can be started by lodging a Personal Injury Claim Form with the Motor Accidents Authority within six months of the incident.

Who can file a car accident claim?

Whether or not you were not at fault or partly at fault, you can file a claim if you were a passenger, a driver, or were on a bike or walking and were hit by a car or by debris flung by a vehicular impact. You can also file a claim if you are a caretaker of someone severely injured in an accident, or the family member of someone who has been killed in a car accident.

What kind of compensation is likely in a car accident claim

Early financial assistance resulting from the lodging of an Accident Notification Form can entitle you to receive immediate reimbursement for medical expenses and loss of earnings up to $5,000. Other compensation may include:

  • Reimbursement of medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Potential payment for anticipated future medical expenses
  • Compensation for economic loss including loss of wages and superannuation
  • Payments for potential future economic loss
  • Compensation for non-economic loss (pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life, only applicable if you have suffered a Whole Person Impairment greater than 10%)

What if I don’t know who hit me?

Car accidents where the car that was at fault was uninsured or unregistered, or the car couldn’t be identified as it was a ‘hit and run’, may still be compensated for under a motor accidents compensation scheme like the one in New South Wales. Filing under this scheme may mean you cannot pursue the matter further if it is later revealed who hit you.

Have you been a victim of a car accident? Contact Gerard Malouf & Partners Compensation, Medical Negligence & Will Dispute Lawyers today.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.