What types of insurance can I claim disability benefits from?

PUBLISHED 08 Nov 2016

Many Australians are unaware that an injured individual could be entitled to a lump sum payment under their superannuation policy. However, there is more to it than that. In fact, there are a number of policies that you could claim under if you have been injured and are unable to work.

The best way to find out about these is through a compensation lawyer experienced in making TPD claims and seeking benefits for their clients. To help you, we have compiled a list of policies you could claim under.

Insurance policies in Australia

Injuries occur on a daily basis in Australia and are very much a part of life in the Lucky Country. However, this does not mean you need to suffer alone or in silence. If you are unable to work due to an injury and it is recognised as a total or permanent disability, you could be able to access lump sum payments as well as disability benefits.

The normal route for this is by making a claim on your superannuation policy, which can have a clause that covers disability and income loss. However, a number of other insurance policies also have measures and clauses that allow for claims.

A claim can be made against any policy that has income protection insurance, while life insurance policies can also be a pathway to obtaining a compensation settlement. Even mortgage and loan protection insurance can come into the picture if you have been injured. Being unable to work due to injury should not lead to default, which is why this insurance policy can be claimed against.

In addition to these, you can also claim against:

  • Sickness and accident insurance.
  • Employment disability and trauma insurance.

How can I make a claim?

An inability to work should not place financial pressure on you and your family. Unfortunately, it can and does happen, which is why you should talk to a compensation lawyer as soon as possible.

At Gerard Malouf and Partners Compensation, Medical negligence and Will dispute lawyers, we are committed to ensuring that people know the options available to them if they have been injured. Whether it's an income protection claim on your superannuation fund or a claim against your life insurance policy, we can help ensure that a settlement is available to ease your financial burden.

If you would like to know more, make sure you talk to an expert compensation lawyer today.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.