What medical compensation am I entitled to under the NSW Motor Accidents Compensation Act?

PUBLISHED 25 Nov 2014

Motor car accidents can have a significant impact on you and your loved ones, whether it’s emotional, physical or financial. For many people, it’s a combination of all three.

Even relatively minor collisions may cause a serious injury that could prevent you from working or carrying out day-to-day activities with the same mobility and ease with which you are accustomed to.

However, to ease some of the financial burden, there is medical compensation available under the New South Wales Motor Accidents Compensation Act that will help you get back on your feet as quickly as possible.

This means you can concentrate on becoming fully healthy without having to worry about medical bills and other costs associated with your recovery.

What am I entitled to?

Every case is different, so your medical compensation entitlements will depend on the specific circumstances of your accident.

It is therefore recommended to get in touch with a car accident compensation lawyer that can go through the particulars of your crash and assess how much you are likely to receive.

A no-win, no-fees lawyer means you rest assured that this process will not cost you any money, as they will only take payment once you’ve successfully been awarded compensation.

Nevertheless, there are a number of areas where you can claim, including:

  • Repayment of medical expenses up to $5,000
  • Reimbursement of medical and rehabilitation costs, as well as potential payment for future expenses
  • Payments for non-economic loss, including for pain and suffering – these are typically only available when the victim experiences a Whole Person Impairment (WPI) of 10 per cent

What is a WPI?

A WPI is a medical issue where a person is judged to have suffered an alteration to their health status.

According to the Motor Accidents Authority, this is defined as a deviation from the normal functioning of a body part or organ. Impairments are considered permanent if they are stabilised and unlikely to improve substantially (by over 3 per cent) over a 12-month period.

To receive compensation under the New South Wales Motor Accidents Compensation Act, claimants be acknowledged to have suffered a 10 per cent permanent WIP to be eligible for non-economic losses.

If you are unsure whether or not you are entitled to compensation after having a car accident, please contact Gerard Malouf & Partners motor accident compensation lawyers for more information and guidance on taking the next steps.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.