What benefits is an injured worker entitled to?

PUBLISHED 01 Apr 2011
If you are injured at work you are entitled to receive workers compensation for your injuries. The amount and type of compensation will depend on the severity of your injuries and can include the following:
Weekly Benefits
If you are totally or partially unfit for work as a result of your workplace injuries than you are entitled to receive weekly benefits until you are back at work.
The amount of the weekly benefits you can receive varies depending on the level of your incapacity and whether you are an award employee or subject to a workplace agreement.
Permanent Impairment Benefits
If your workplace accident has resulted in you suffering a permanent impairment than you may be eligible for lump sum payments for this permanent impairment.
There are strict rules in place to determine who is eligible for lump sum payments of compensation for permanent impairments that are based on your level of assessed permanent impairment.
In circumstances where you have suffered a permanent impairment from a workplace injury it is important to obtain expert workers compensation legal advice to ensure that your permanent impairment assessment is correct and that you receive the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to receive.
Medical and rehabilitation expenses
You are entitled to payment for your reasonable and necessary medical and rehabilitation expenses and these expenses can include ambulance costs and travel expenses.
In the event that your injuries mean you cannot immediately return to the workplace you may also be entitled to workplace rehabilitation services which can include physiotherapists, rehabilitation counsellors, occupational therapists and psychologists.
Funeral expenses
If you have lost a loved one in a workplace accident than you need to be aware that you have an entitlement under the workers compensation scheme to payment of the reasonable funeral expenses.
In addition to the payment of funeral expenses you and any other dependents could be entitled to weekly benefits and a lump sum payment.
Work injury damages
If you believe that your workplace accident was a result of negligence on behalf of your employer then you may have a claim for work injury damages. Work injury damages are damages awarded by a court as a lump sum payment for your past and future economic loss that has resulted from your injury.
There are strict statutory requirements in making a claim for work injury damages, such as a minimum permanent impairments of 15% , which is why it is imperative to seek expert workers compensation legal advice, if you believe you have a claim for work injury damages.
Gerard Malouf & Partners are not a giant publicly listed law company but a highly specialised and focused firm. We are small enough to have the privilege of caring intimately for our clients but large enough to have the solid financial, medical and expert resources our client’s need in their successful compensation claims.
For free over-the-phone advice or to take advantage of our free face-to-face consultation call our expert legal team today on 1800 004 878.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.