Change location v

South-West Sydney pedestrian in motor vehicle accident awarded almost $300,000 for her pain and suffering

Case Overview
  • A woman from South-West Sydney was injured when a vehicle collided into her, causing serious injuries including a brain injury and spinal issues.
  • As she had been on a Centrelink pension for many years prior to the accident, she was not entitled to any compensation for economic loss.
  • The basis of her claim was for her pain and suffering, for which she was awarded almost $300,000 in compensation.
Our Approach

We at GMP acted for our client, a woman from South-West Sydney, who sustained significant personal injuries when a motor vehicle collided with her while she was standing on the side of the road next to her broken-down car. She sustained major injuries to her spine, as well as a traumatic brain injury and subsequent PTSD.

As our client had not been working for many years and had been receiving Centrelink payments, the claim was only for her pain and suffering, for which she needed to be assessed as over 10% whole person impairment. Our doctor assessed her as having 16% impairment, which the insurer accepted as allowing her to access this compensation.

The Result

GMP assisted our client in receiving maximum compensation, resulting in her being awarded almost $300,000 for damages.

Our client continues to require ongoing treatment, which continues to be paid for by the insurer following her compensation settlement, through the statutory scheme.

Vrege Kolokossian

Senior Partner
My aim is to always listen and to do the best for my clients
Frequently Asked Questions

More Information

There are several steps you should take following a motor accident before worrying about liability. First and foremost is ensuring that you, the other driver and any passengers you both have are safe. Immediately call 000 for emergency services if necessary, and apply first aid care if you know how. Move the vehicles off the shoulder if the accident is blocking the roadway and it’s possible to do so.

Compensation can provide vital financial support for people who have suffered serious injuries in a road traffic accident. But are there limitations on how much money someone can receive?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, including:

  • Who was to blame for the accident?
  • How severe were your injuries?
  • Is there permanent damage?
  • Are you entitled to damages for non-economic losses?

Let’s break down some scenarios and explore what compensation amounts could be available…


The immediate aftermath of a car accident is a troubling time for all concerned, and it’s crucial that you don’t inadvertently act against your own best long-term interests. Let’s start with what not to do:

  • Don’t try to be your own doctor: It’s not always clear what the long-term health implications of an accident might be – whiplash injuries are a classic case in point here. Regardless of how minor you consider your injuries, make sure you are fully checked out and research your claim entitlements via an Accident Notification Form fully.
  • Don’t leave things too late: Motor vehicle accidents need to be reported to the police within 28 days in NSW or you risk complications further down the line when making a claim.
  • Don’t try and do it all yourself: The claims process is increasingly streamlined, but that doesn’t mean you should try and navigate its potential complexities yourself – particularly at a time where you may still be grappling with the after-effects of the accident itself. Professional advice from a compensation solicitor gives your claim the best possible chance of success.

With those caveats out of the way, let’s move on to what you should do.

If you’re injured in a motor vehicle accident, there are a number of practical details you need to take care of quickly once you are out of immediate danger:

  • Do report the accident: As mentioned above, look to do this within 28 days if at all possible.
  • Do get the Green Slips: Identify the Green Slip (CTP) policies of all vehicles involved. These can be obtained from the Motor Accidents Authority if you know the relevant number plates.
  • Do submit a personal injury claim form: These can be downloaded from the Motor Accidents Authority website and should be submitted to the relevant Green Slip insurer.

More Case Summaries

© 2021 
Gerard Malouf & Partners
 — Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Website Design by MediaSmiths

Your location is currently: