Is my injury eligible for a slip and fall public liability claim?

PUBLISHED 12 Jan 2020

It’s unfortunately common for businesses to neglect upkeep or violate safety codes. As a result, thousands of people each year slip and fall in public places, leading to injuries, financial losses and even disabilities. If you’ve experienced a slip-and-fall injury, you may want to explore filing a claim to receive financial compensation to recoup expenses and to pay for any future financial damages you may incur.

Is my injury eligible for a slip and fall/public liability claim?

Many individuals are unaware they can file a claim for an injury they sustained in a public setting, and often think their specific injury will not qualify for a claim. However, public liability claims cover a wide range of injuries, including slipping in a hotel or rental property, falling in a supermarket or shopping centre, sustaining a slip and fall injury in a pub, playground, public school, common walkway or local council area.

You can file a claim whether you fell due to negligence – for example, a business that did not properly indicate a floor was wet at the time of your fall – as well as due to faulty workmanship. You don’t have to have slipped and fallen to be able to sue for damages. You may have sustained an injury due to a manufacturer or retailer’s negligence, such as using a product that malfunctioned and caused you harm, furnishings that were poorly constructed or other circumstances where you were injured due to a company’s actions.

What kind of compensation can I receive?

If you successfully sue for compensation, you may be able to receive a lump-sum payment to cover your past and future medical expenses, loss of wages and other financial losses, financial payouts for pain and suffering and funds to pay for future care you may need. This may include funds to pay for changes in lifestyle due to injury, such as home modifications for disabilities, wheelchairs and other forms of care.

How can I file a claim?

Have you been involved in a slip and fall or public liability accident that has left you with physical injuries, illnesses or financial losses? If so, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation to help cover ongoing care costs, loss of income and pain and suffering. You’ll need to file a claim with the help of professionals who can help guide you through what can be a complicated process.

Contact Gerard Malouf & Partners Compensation Lawyers to file your slip and fall or public liability claim. Call us on 1800 004 878 or complete our email enquiry form.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.