Change location v

How do I know if I’m entitled to make a claim for public liability compensation?

If you have suffered an injury in a public place, you can claim compensation to ease the financial strain that may result from the accident.

Serious injuries may require you to take significant time off work, as well as create an emotional burden on you and your loved ones. In a worst-case scenario, your quality of life can be permanently affected.

Many people are often unaware that they are eligible to make a public liability compensation claim, however, payouts are available in NSW for a variety of incidents.

For example, you may have a case if you’ve suffered injuries in:

  • Public places
  • Private properties or complexes, such as shopping centres
  • Rental premises
  • Boats or planes
  • Schools or amusement parks

Any ailments caused by sporting activities, animals or even food poisoning could also entitle you to compensation.

Making a public liability claim

Once you’ve established whether you are eligible for compensation, it’s advisable to contact specialist public liability injury lawyers who can help you pursue your claim.

Typically, you will need to prove that the organisation or individual that contributed to the injury owed you a duty of care – and that this was subsequently breached.

This can be a complex process and many cases that appear similar on the surface could have different outcomes due to the various factors involved.

However, if you are successful in your case, you could receive compensation payments for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Past and future medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Past and future loss of earnings and superannuation
  • Home modifications or other support mechanisms needed because of an injury
  • Other care requirements

How long will a claim take?

The length of time it takes to complete public liability claims will vary depending on your specific circumstances. Therefore, employing the services of a no-win, no-fees lawyer is recommended, as it means you will not be charged for a drawn-out, unsuccessful claim.

So if you suffer a slip, trip or fall, or feel you are otherwise eligible to receive compensation due to an accident or injury experienced in a public place, make sure to contact a legal team that can discuss your case further.

Should you win, you will benefit from a lump sum tax-free payment, which is usually distributed by the insurance company covering the individual or organisation that had duty of care.

© 2021 
Gerard Malouf & Partners
 — Personal Injury Compensation Lawyers

Website Design by MediaSmiths

Your location is currently: