Can you make a public liability claim for minor injuries?

PUBLISHED 13 Jan 2020

Company and home owners have a legal responsibility to make sure that those who visit their properties remain safe while on their grounds. If there are things like a wet floor, loose gravel and other things that could pose a threat to others’ health and wellbeing, there needs to be proper warning, or else an accident might occur, leaving the owner possibly at risk for a lawsuit.

But what happens if this happens to you, and you do get hurt, but your injuries are minor? Should you bother making a claim, or should you just pay for any medical costs or lost wages out of your own wallet? Once you take care of your health, you need to know what questions to ask.

Should I make a claim if my injuries are minor?

In short, yes, if you are able to seek a public liability claim, you should. If, for instance, you have suffered a slip and fall and have any sort of injury, no matter the severity, if you have met the legal threshold to file a claim you should strongly consider it.

This means that if you have medical expenses, costs associated with travel (to and from medical appointments, for example), have any loss of income, need domestic assistance, or have endured pain and suffering, you may qualify for compensation and should discuss your claim with a legal professional.

What role do minor injuries play?

While having suffered minor injuries likely will not make a difference when it comes to actually filing a claim, they may play a role in the compensation you could stand to receive and how long it could take. For example, it’s possible that you would see a larger reward if you suffered more serious damages, as you may have larger expenses, more significant loss of wages and more suffering.

It is also possible that, in the case of minor injuries, your claim could be settled faster. This is generally because a substantial injury takes longer to stabilise and the victim and his or her legal team must determine the costs of long-term care, which might not be the case with minor injuries.

What if you need help deciding?

If you require help filing a public liability claim or deciding how much compensation you want to seek, you should consider contacting the team Gerard Malouf and Partners Compensation, Medical Negligence & Will Dispute Lawyers. Our lawyers offer a free initial consultation, so don’t hesitate to get in touch today.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.