PUBLISHED 15 Jul 2011
If you have been injuried in a Motor Vehicle Accident in New South Wales you may be immediately entitled to up to $5000 to cover your treatment expenses and loss earnings. This cover is available to any party injured in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault. To obtain these benefits you are required to submitt an Accident Notification Form within 28 days of the date of accident.
The Accident Notification Form is a six page document which is forwarded to the relevant Greenslip/Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident.
To complete this form you will need the following information:-
1.    Details relating to the accident (ie Time, date, place).
2.    The registeration number of the vehicle you considered that caused the accident (even if this is the vehicle that you were driving).
3.    Police Event number (if Police did not attend the accident scene, you will need to report it to the Police and obtain an Event number).
4.    You will need to have your treating doctor complete the Medical Certificate at the end of the form.
Once you have this information and have completed the Accident Notification Form you are required to serve it on the relevant Insurer within 28 days of the accident. The insurer’s details can be obtained from the Motor Vehicle Accident Authority on 1300 656 919.
Once you have lodged the Accident Notification Form withing the 28 day period, you will be entitled to early payment of reasonable and necessary medical expenses and/or loss of  earning up to a maximum of $5000. Medical expenses include Specialist appointments, medical procedures, medication etc. Medical expenses can also include treatment in the form of physiotherapy and other rehabilitation services.
If you were working at the time of the accident and as a result of your injuries incurred in the accident you have been unable to return to work or have taken time off work, you may be able to claim for your loss of earnings during this period.
Payment of expenses is limited to those incurred within the first six months from the date of accident. If your expenses exceed or are likely to exceed the $5000 in the first six months from the date accident and/or you have ongoing disabilites as a result of the accident you may need to make a full claim for compensastion under the Motor Accidents Scheme by lodging a Personal Injury Claim Form. The Personal Injury Claim Form needs to be served on the Compulsory Third Party Insurer no later than six months after the date of accident.
If you were the driver at fault in the accident you may not be eligible to make a full claim and therefore your access to benefits may be limited to the $5000 allowable under the Accident Notification Form.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.