Australian Defence Force Officer receives $400,000 for Motorbike Accident Personal Injury

PUBLISHED 03 Nov 2014

We acted for Mr J who was a member of the Australian Defence Force when he was injured on his motorbike during a lunch break. Mr J was unsure as to his rights but approached Gerard Malouf & Partners to seek advice as to a possible claim under the Motor Accident Compensation Act 1999.


We advised Mr J that he had an entitlement to lodge a Personal Injury Claim Form and this was done immediately.

Mr J’s treatment expenses which were quite substantial were being paid by the Defence Force in their totality. Despite that fact, Mr J’s employment with the Defence Force was in jeopardy due to the nature of his injuries and there was a possibility that he could be medically retired due to his inability to return to his pre-accident duties.

The CTP Insurer, AAMI Limited invited our offices to participate in an informal settlement conference.

After significant negotiations the matter could not be resolved however, it resolved a few weeks later for an offer of $430,000.00 inclusive of costs and disbursements.


Mr J was thrilled with the result, noting that it only took eight (8) months following the accident to resolve the matter and noting that the Australian Defence Force had paid for all of his treatment and they did not seek recovery of those amounts. Mr J was pleased that legal fees were kept to a minimum and he achieved the best possible result in a very short space of time.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and you are unsure as to whether or not you have entitlements to claim then please contact our offices on our toll free number 1800 004 878 to arrange a no obligation free consultation.

At Gerard Malouf & Partners Personal Injury Lawyers we are small enough to care about the clients intricate needs but large enough to fight insurers in order to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.