Poor driving still a problem over long weekend: NSW police

Date: Jun 12, 2012

While the majority of the nation was enjoying an extra day off work this Queen’s Birthday long weekend, NSW police and traffic patrol officers were putting in extra hours to help our drivers stay safe on the roads.

Every year they put into place a safe driving campaign over the public holiday period called Operation Stay Alert, in an attempt to encourage motorists to exercise caution – and to catch out anyone attempting to break the law.

Last year the death toll was four, nearly 400 drivers were charged with drink driving and 4,460 were issued with tickets for speeding and other infringements.

While there were some small improvements statistically in 2012, there were still deaths and dangerous driving on the roads – and according to NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Nick Kaldas, “one death is one too many”.

This year’s road toll sits at two, with a 31-year-old man and a woman in her early 20s involved in two separate fatal car accidents over the long weekend.

On Friday night (June 8) at approximately 21:50, the male had a motorbike accident Pearl Beach Drive, Pearl Beach.

As he was coming up to a corner, he left the road and collided with railing, causing him to be hurled off his bike.

He passed away at the scene of the accident due to fatal injuries. While police are continuing investigations, it is thought speed may have caused the crash.

The other collision occurred in Euston, near the New South Wales and Victorian border in the early hours of Saturday morning. The woman in her early 20s was a passenger in a car travelling along the Sturt Highway.

The male driver, also aged in his early 20s, survived and was taken to Robinvale Hospital shortly after the incident.

Many other fatal crashes may have been only narrowly avoided, according to concerning statistics released by police.

Officers on patrol pulled up many motorists who were driving dangerously, including a 39-year-old man who was travelling on the incorrect side of the road on the New England Highway.

This evidently made it difficult for the other drivers sharing the same stretch of road.

Operations Commander of Traffic and Highway Patrol Command Superintendent Stuart Smith said that people need to start taking more responsibility and care when on the road.

“These irresponsible drivers need to fully accept the potential danger to themselves and other road users,” he said (June 9).

“The fact that they have been caught is clear evidence that our traffic and highway patrol officers continue to prevent fatalities on our roadways,” he added.

If you or a family member has been involved in a car accident, you may want to know that there are compensation lawyers in Sydney that may help you gain adequate reimbursement for medical costs and more.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts or email your enquiry.