NSW statistics highlights the need for car accident compensation scheme

Date: Jul 25, 2011

Between June 2010 and May 2011, there were 22,923 motor vehicle accidents in NSW that resulted in injury, according to the data from the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA).

The majority of these happened in Sydney, with 12,643 injuries recorded, followed by the Hunter region with 3,224 for the same time period.

For NSW residents, this means that at some point in your life, you or someone you know may be involved with a motor vehicle accident that results in someone being hurt.

It is for these reasons that the government has instituted the motor accidents compensation scheme which provides financial assistance to victims of motor vehicle collisions and helps aid their recovery.

According to the Motor Accidents Authority, the scheme exists to compensate injured persons by providing for their medical expenses and earning potential lost as a result of the accident – "regardless of the financial means of the owner or driver of the motor vehicle".

Lump sum payments are also available to the victims of motor vehicle collisions if they suffer a permanent disability as a result of an accident.

Benefits provided by the scheme also cover your passengers, not just drivers, with compensation if they are injured in a collision.

Compensation payments may still be accessible if the at-fault driver in your accident was uninsured or even if you were partly at fault.

Similar provisions are made by the scheme if you were involved in a blameless accident. This is defined by the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 as being "a motor accident that was not caused by the fault of the owner or driver of any motor vehicle involved in the accident."

Each accident is treated as unique in the eyes of the law. As such it is a good idea to gain trusted advice from an experienced compensation lawyer, rather than an unaccredited source, to assess your eligibility.

Benefits are available from the motor accident compensation scheme if they fall under certain protocols. These include a cut off period for reporting an accident and time limits for when a victim can claim on an injury after an accident occurs.

If you need help meeting these guidelines, a personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the claims process in time.

A no win no fee lawyer can also give you access to the assets and experience needed to get maximum compensation payments for your injuries.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.