NSW police “pleased” with Queen’s Birthday results

Date: Jun 11, 2014

NSW police are generally happy with how Operation Stay Alert worked over the long Queen’s Birthday weekend, with car accident numbers reduced and other major offences down.

The operation started at 12.01am on Friday (6 June 2014) and ran until 11.59pm Monday night (9 June 2014). There were 600 major crashes reported over the four days, with a total of two deaths. This was a major improvement from the 681 accidents and six fatalities recorded last year.

Acting NSW Police Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander and Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said police were pleased that injuries and accident numbers were down, but were still concerned with some poor behaviour on the roads.

“The majority of road users heeded our warnings and drove responsibly over the long weekend, however unfortunately a small section of the community did not,” he said.

“Unfortunately in a number of these serious crashes it is believed seatbelts were not being worn. We need people to listen to the message – seatbelts save lives.”

Mr Smith recognised that while the operation saw a decrease in fatalities, two lives were still lost over the weekend. He also warned drivers to keep this behaviour up despite the end of Stay Alert.

“With recent wet-weather conditions, we don’t want to see an increase in road trauma following the conclusion of this operation.”

Nearly 5,000 NSW drivers were caught breaking the law over the weekend including more than 4,200 for speeding and 272 drivers charged with drink-driving. While these offences were both significantly down from 2013, NSW police remain committed to reducing car accidents and whiplash injuries.

“We will continue to put every available resource into these operations to ensure that families go to and from their destinations safely,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Smith said.

NSW car accident compensation

If you are involved in a car accident in NSW and suffer a whiplash injury or worse, you could be eligible for compensation. The motor accident compensation scheme extends to most motorists, including drivers and pedestrians.

It is important to contact a car accident compensation lawyer as soon as you are well enough. They can offer advice about your possible claim and discuss the circumstances around the accident.

These lawyers operate on a no win no fee basis, so they can advise you on your chances of success free of charge – if they think you have a case, it’s completely up to you whether you engage their services.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts or email your enquiry.