New traffic light infrastructure set to boost pedestrian safety

Date: Aug 11, 2015

Transport for NSW has announced a new traffic light infrastructure program aimed at boosting pedestrian safety in the state.

Car accidents often cause serious injuries and deaths, with pedestrians particularly vulnerable when they are involved in a collision. Minister for Roads Duncan Gay said the $5 million project will bring added peace of mind to people crossing at intersections.

“We will be installing new traffic light infrastructure and changing the timing of lights to give pedestrians their own green light or more time to cross before traffic starts turning,” he explained. “You can’t fight the laws of physics – pedestrians come off second best in crashes – which is exactly why this program is so important.”

Mr Gay said the initiative is a direct response to coroners’ requests to examine traffic infrastructure to prevent motorists and pedestrians from receiving a green light at the same time.

The changes are also expected to assist vehicle owners, as it will address the issue of pedestrian blind spots when turning corners. Mr Gay indicated the new traffic lights provide an additional safeguard for many road users.

Car accidents involving pedestrians

Pedestrians who are injured in incidents involving a vehicle are often entitled to compensation, so it’s important to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss options. A successful claim can provide significant financial support, allowing victims to pay for medical bills, cover lost wages and superannuation, and afford ongoing care if the injuries are especially serious.

Transport for NSW claimed 34 pedestrians have already been killed in the state this year – more than a 30 per cent increase when compared with this time last year.

The organisation said the new traffic light infrastructure project is the first of its kind in the country, adding that the changes are simple but effective. A total of 560 intersections have already been identified as needing improvement.

Areas where pedestrians are most at risk will be updated first, with congested intersections the primary target. The project is expected to take three years to complete, and work is set to begin immediately.

Earlier this year, Mr Gay unveiled a record $307 million investment in road safety measures across the state.

“This government will not sit on our hands when it comes to road safety and this record budget is proof that no element will be left unturned as part of our promise to reduce fatalities on our roads,” he stated.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts or email your enquiry.