Marine biologist scalped in lab accident

Date: Mar 15, 2019

A marine biologist has been scalped after her hair was caught in a pump shaft.

The victim was reportedly working at her lab near Nowra when the incident took place. After freeing herself from the pump, she allegedly walked back to an office to seek assistance while carrying a part of her scalp, although, the victim has no memory of this occurring. She was then flown to hospital, and had surgery to cover the hole using skin from her thigh. While the victim is still recovering from the injury, ironically the incident has assisted in her research in seaweed and wound healing.

While in recovery, she has been learning about the skin reattachment process and has discussed her research with surgeons.

What happens if I am injured at work?

Employers have a duty of care to their employees to ensure they are working in a safe environment. When injuries arise in the workplace, you may be eligible for compensation. In New South Wales, the Workers Compensation Act 1987 (NSW) sets out guidelines for which employers are liable to pay employees damages in case of an accident. This compensation can be paid regardless of whether the injury occurred in the workplace, or on a work related excursion. 

Depending on the nature of your injuries, you may be able to seek compensation to cover:

  • Medical expenses, such as hospital and rehabilitation fees.
  • Cover for loss of wages or an inability to work.
  • A payment for pain and suffering if the injury resulted in a permanent impairment.
  • Court related costs.

If a work related injury has resulted in the death of someone you depended on for financial support, the Workers Compensation Act sets out to provide a benefit to support these parties. In the instance of death, a lump sum death benefit of $750,000 will be divided amongst dependents of the worker. Furthermore, a dependent child of the worker will receive $66.60 per week if they are under 16 years, with this payment being extended to the age of 21 if the child continues to be a student. Under the Act, the employer of the deceased worker needs to pay funeral expenses, as long as they don't exceed $15,000.

Payments made under the Workers Compensation Act can only be paid if compensation hasn't been sought under any other Act or laws. 

If you have been injured in the workplace, you are entitled to compensation. Get in touch with the expert legal team at Gerard Malouf & Partners for assistance with your claim.

Call us now on 1800 004 878 to book a free appointment with one of my compensation experts, or email your enquiry.